Network Improvement Strategy
Maximizing Safety, Efficiency and Modality
The City of St. Albert is in the process of improving its transportation network. In undertaking this work, the City faces challenges related to ageing infrastructure, growth pressure, ongoing development, high expectations and limited funding. In such an environment, the City must take a strategic approach to identify which capital projects will provide the maximum benefit in terms of improvements in the areas of safety, efficiency, and the ability to incorporate all modes of transportation. These factors must be considered over time to reflect both current needs and anticipate future demand.
The City decided to undertake an updated transportation network evaluation, which would assist in prioritizing competing demands for transportation infrastructure investments. This effort would then provide insight into the best transportation projects to include in the City’s 10-Year Capital Plan. To support this work, St. Albert City Council approved funding for the project and requested recommendations by September 2018.
The City hired Associated Engineering and Stantec Consulting to perform an updated network evaluation to result in recommendations for improvements to the transportation system. The evaluation involved an analysis of the current conditions and various scenarios of future transportation options. The result was a prioritized ranking of projects based on service levels, travel time and safety. The ranking was modified based on feasibility and staging to come up with the final list of recommendations.
The highest-ranked projects are as follows:
- Ray Gibbon Drive – 137 Avenue to LeClair Way
- LeClair Way at Riel Drive intersection
- North St. Albert Trail – Boudreau Road to Coal Mine Road
- Ray Gibbon Drive – LeClair Way to McKenney Avenue
- Fowler Way (new arterial)
- North St. Albert Trail – Coal Mine Road to Everitt Drive
- North St. Albert Trail – Everitt Drive to Neil Ross Road
- Ray Gibbon Drive – McKenney Avenue to Giroux Road
- Giroux Road to Ray Gibbon Drive
- Ray Gibbon Drive – Giroux Road to Fowler Way
- 137 Avenue at Anthony Henday Drive Ramps
- McKenney Avenue to Ray Gibbon Drive
- Boudreau Road at Campbell Road
- St. Albert Trail at Hebert / Gervais Road
- Sir Winston Churchill Avenue – Sturgeon Road to city limits
- Bellerose Drive – Oakmont Drive to city limits
For more information on each of the projects, and the evaluation process, read the full report below.
Last edited: November 15, 2019