Rain Barrel Sale
The City has offered rain barrels at cost to residents since 2006. In partnership with L.B.H. Building Centre, the 2019 Rain Barrel Event was successful in providing St. Albert residents with a total of 500 rain barrels. At $50 per rain barrel, limit two per person, residents began to purchasing the barrels at 8 a.m. until supplies ran out.
The event has been held at L.B.H. Building Centre (11 Riel Drive, St. Albert) since 2015 with tremendous success. Check here for details on the 2020 event typically held the first Saturday in May.
Rain Barrel Features
The 208-litre (55 gallons) rain barrels have a unique shape and are a neutral colour that will blend into any garden scape. They are constructed with up to 50 per cent recycled materials and include a spigot, mosquito mesh, lid and overflow hose that can be linked to another barrel.
For more information on other water conservation tips, please visit our Outdoor Water Saving Tips page.
Use of a Rain Barrel
Save water and money by collecting water from your roof!
What is a Rain Barrel?
- It is a container to catch rainwater flowing from your downspouts.
- Using collected water is an easy and economical way to maintain a healthy lawn and garden.
Why use a Rain Barrel?
- The water is free, which saves you money on your monthly water bill.
- It decreases the amount of drinkable, treated water used for outdoor watering.
- Reduces the demand on water treatment facilities.
- Rainwater is soft and non-chlorinated, which can stimulate plant growth and make soil healthier.
- It's an easy way to conserve water, one of our most precious resources, and protect the environment.
Setting up your Rain Barrel
- For instructions on setting up your rain barrel and easy to follow diagrams refer to the City's Rain Barrel Brochure
Maintaining Your Rain Barrel
- Clean debris from the lid screen regularly.
- In the fall, prepare your barrel for winter storage in a few easy steps: drain water, remove spigot, turn it upside down and cover the barrel.
- In the winter, move your downspout, so it faces away from buildings and foundation walls.
Rain Barrel Safety Tips
- Keep the lid on the barrel at all times to keep out insects, pets and wildlife.
- Ensure children refrain from playing on or inside the barrel.
Last edited: November 29, 2019