Detached Garages and Carports
You should check local building code and development requirements before you start working on your new garage. In St. Albert, a detached garage requires separate development and building permits.
A development permit regulates the location, size, and height of the garage on the property. The site coverage of a garage and all other buildings on the lot must not exceed 40% of the total lot area. The maximum eave projection into a 1.0-metre side and rear yard is 600 millimetres (two feet). The garage, including eaves, can not be located over any right-of-way or easement on the property. The garage must be at least 1.0 m from the side and rear property lines and no more than 4.5 m in height.
On a corner site where the vehicle doors of the detached garage face the flanking public roadway, the distance between the garage and the property line running parallel to that flanking roadway must not be less than 4.5 m. If the property line is less than 1.5 m from the edge of the sidewalk closest to the garage, the garage must be at least 6.0 m from the edge of the sidewalk.
When garages or carports are attached to a dwelling unit, they are considered additions and must comply with land use bylaw regulations. Attached garages and carports must be supported by a foundation conforming to the Alberta Building Code. For more information, contact Building Inspection Services.
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure that your application is clear, legible and accurate. If any part of your application is missing, unreadable or inaccurate, your application will be deemed incomplete, and a decision will not be rendered.
Your application must include
- Complete application form
- Fees = $152.50, including:
- Development permit - $71.00
- Building permit fee - $77.00
- Safety Codes Council fee - $4.50
- Two (2) copies of dimensioned site plans in metric (minimum scale 1:100)
- Two (2) copies of floor plans (if necessary) in metric (minimum scale 1:100) showing:
- The layout of all exterior walls
- Location of exterior doors and windows
- Dimensions of the proposed structure
- Two (2) copies of elevation plans in metric (minimum scale 1:100) showing:
- the exterior of the proposed structure; including all windows, doors, projections, fascia trim, decorative elements, etc. and all finishing materials
- brick, stucco, vinyl siding, metal siding
- roof material (asphalt shingle, concrete tile metal)
- fascia, soffit and trim
- colours of all major exterior building materials
- dimensioned height from grade on all elevations
- dimensioned height to the main floor from grade
* Please note that these rates may change without notice.
Please be advised that the development authority may require additional material necessary to properly evaluate the proposed development (as stated in Section 3.3 of the City of St. Albert Land Use Bylaw 9/2005). In most cases, an application is deemed complete if the material outlined is provided.
Last edited: November 28, 2019